Independence, Ohio • Aerial Photography
Independence, Ohio is a suburb of Cleveland, Ohio and is located in Cuyahoga County. Independence was organized as a Township around 1814. The first recorded resident is traced to 1818--Ichabod Lord Skinner, a young farmer, who, by 1834, owned 384 acres around "Skinner's Hill" (Schaff Road). Ichabod's youngest son, David P., built a brick home on "Skinner's Hill" that still stands today.
Independence became a village in April 1914, and a city in November 1960.
Independence, Ohio has a magnificent city campus where is houses most of it resources in one main location. This includes the Fire Department, Police Department, City Hall, Service Department, Pool, Baseball Diamonds, Tennis Courts, Independence High School & Middle School, Athletic Fields and more.
In the 1970s, many Cleveland businesses needed backup and extra office space from their downtown Cleveland offices. In the 1970s, the Rockside corridor was developed into offices and numerous hotels to help downtown Cleveland. In 1991, the Crown Center on 5005 Rockside Road was built making it the tallest building between Downtown Cleveland and Akron. This area is referred as Cleveland's Silicon Valley.
The Independence Local School District operates Independence Primary School, Independence Middle School, Independence High School, and St. Michael's Catholic School. Independence is also home to the Kent State University College of Podiatric Medicine.