Cleveland Heights, Ohio • Aerial Photography
The area that is now Cleveland Heights was settled later than most of Cuyahoga County. The first road through what is today the city, Mayfield Road, was not built until 1828. Some of the land was divided into farms, but It also had quarries in the 19th century. One of the early quarries was established by Duncan McFarland who mined bluestone. This led to the settlement that grew up around the quarry for the workers to live in to be referred to as Bluestone. There is still a road of this name in that area.
Cedar Fairmount Business District
Cedar Fairmount is the Gateway to Cleveland Heights. The business district is situated in a three block area at the top of Cedar Hill. it is conveniently located near downtown Cleveland and is only minutes from the Cleveland Clinic, University Hospital, and University Circle.
Cedar Fairmount’s Business District lies 150 feet overlooking Cleveland on what was formerly a lake plain formed by glaciers. swamps and ponds gradually gave way to woodland where Indians and early settlers sought game. The exploration of the Western Reserve brought traders and farmers. By the early 1900’s real estate developers turned Cedar Fairmount into the first planned neighborhood shopping area in the Height.